Printable Version in PDF Format (Get Adobe Acrobat)


  • Policy Number: SP.03.018
  • Version: Original
  • Drafted By:
  • Approved By: Richard R. Rush
  • Approval Date:
  • Effective Date:
  • Supersedes:













An "Incomplete Authorized" (I) signifies that a portion of required course work has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified reasons and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. After the request of the student for the "I" grade, the faculty member makes the decision as to whether or not an "I" grade is issued. If an "I" grade is issued, the faculty member determines what conditions must be met for the "I" to be removed. However, to protect both students and faculty, it is necessary that there be a written record of the conditions. Thus, if there is a later disagreement, or if the instructor is no longer available, the "I" can still be handled by the program. The Request for an Incomplete form which is to be used for writing the conditions mentioned above is available in the program administrative support offices. This form shall include a statement of:

  1. the work not completed and the percentage that each uncompleted assignment will count toward the final grade; and
  2. the final grade the instructor will assign if the course requirements are not completed within one calendar year, or a shorter period as specified on the form, immediately following the term in which the “I” was assigned, without respect to continuous enrollment of the student during this period.

A copy of the agreement is to be given to the student and a copy is to be retained in the program office. The completed forms are filed in the program office. The awarding of an "I" requires prior consultation with the student. The student has the responsibility to confer with the faculty member to learn the requirements for removal of the "I". At that time the student is given a copy of the form detailing the conditions to be met. An "I" must be made up within the time period set forth by the instructor with a maximum allowable time span of one calendar year immediately following the end of the term in which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. Failure to complete the assigned work will result in an "I" being converted to an "IC" symbol, unless the faculty member assigns a specific letter grade at the time the Incomplete is assigned, which would replace the "I" in the student’s record at the end of the calendar year deadline. The "IC" is counted as a failing grade (equivalent to an “F”) for grade point average and progress point computation. Although the one-year maximum for incomplete grades will be the general university policy, Executive Order 171 specifies that exceptions can be made in special cases, such as military service and serious health problems. An extension of an "I" grade in any one course shall be allowed only one time, for a maximum total extension of one year. An "I" may not be changed to a passing grade as the result of re-enrolling in the course. In cases where repetition of the course is appropriate, the student will be assigned a withdrawal or failing grade rather than an "I" grade. A failing grade is not an acceptable reason to request or grant an incomplete grade. If a student subsequently completes a course which is recorded as incomplete on a transcript from another institution, it is the student’s responsibility to submit a corrected official transcript and advise the Office of Admissions and Records that he/she wishes to receive credit.



Back to Top ↑