Printable Version in PDF Format (Get Adobe Acrobat)


  • Policy Number: FA.43.002
  • Version: Revision 1
  • Drafted By: Katherine Hullinger
  • Approved By: Erika D. Beck
  • Approval Date: 09/12/17
  • Effective Date: 09/12/17
  • Supersedes: FA.43.001


To establish parameters for use of motor vehicles on University business that support the vehicular needs of campus programs in the most effective, efficient and safest way possible within the context of State regulatory and liability structure.


The State of California, the California State University included, has elected to be insured for motor vehicle liability through a self insurance program.  This form of insurance is both conditional and limited in several important ways, and as a result our use of vehicles is constrained and further, we must conform with specified conditions to maintain liability coverage.

Use of University and Private Vehicles Policy Guidelines (Rev. July 2012)
SAM 751 Operator Requirements
SAM 752  Defensive Driver Training
SAM 753  Authorization for Use of Privately Owned Vehicles
SAM 759  Privately Owned Motorcycles
SAM 2420 Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program
SAM 2430 Accident Reporting
SAM 2441 Damage to Privately Owned Vehicles
SAM 4107  Travel Logs
SAM  Management Memo 05-05 State Motor Vehicle Insurance
California Vehicle Code 1808.1, Drivers License, Pull Notice Requirements
CSU Coded Memoranda, HR 94-18, No Smoking in Vehicles
CSU Coded Memoranda, HR 2005-26, Volunteer Policy
CSU Executive Order 691, Motor Vehicle Inspections



Risk Management will be responsible for administration of the California Department of Motor Vehicles Employer Pull Notice Program, Defensive Driver certification, reporting and record retention for vehicle accidents, and administration of claims in coordination with State Attorney General’s Office. Facilities Services will be responsible for maintenance and repair, inspection and related records for University vehicles. Appropriate administrators will authorize the use of privately owned vehicles and shall ensure employees using vehicles on University business have read the Motor Vehicle Use Policy. Employees using vehicles on University business shall read the Motor Vehicle Use Policy. Administrators shall investigate and submit reports on any vehicle accident to Risk Management.


This policy applies to all persons who use motor vehicles on University business, including University owned, rental and privately owned vehicles.


University Business
University Business for the purpose of this policy is defined as “in the performance of, necessary to, or in the course of the University employment duties”.

University Vehicle
University vehicle is defined as a self-propelled motorized device for land transportation that exceeds two (2) horsepower and is owned, leased, or rented by the University. Vehicles owned, leased, or rented by auxiliary organizations are not covered by this policy.

University Employee
Those persons who have completed all prerequisites to CSU employment; this includes all CSU faculty, staff, and student assistants, and officially designated University volunteers.

An individual who volunteers services to the CSU, has completed all prerequisites to CSU Memoranda, HR 2005-26, and/or has active volunteer status (Job class code 0050).

State Insurance
This refers to the State’s motor vehicle liability self-insurance program, administered by the California Department of General Services, Office of Risk and Insurance Management.


The University will issue vehicles to, and allow use of rental and personal vehicles for, University employees who must drive on University business. 

General Requirements/Limitations
Damage to University vehicles is the responsibility of the University if it is determined that the State driver is at fault. The State’s vehicle liability insurance is designed to provide reimbursement to third parties only and does not cover University employees, their privately owned vehicles or University vehicles.

Non-State vehicles (rental or personal vehicles) must be insured by the rental company or an individual’s personal insurance.

Motorcycles may not be used for the conduct of University business except for police motorcycles as approved by the campus president.

Administrators shall ensure their employees are properly authorized for vehicle use prior to approving travel requests/expense claims involving use of vehicles on University business.

Eligibility to Drive Vehicles on University Business
A driver must meet several criteria in order to drive a vehicle on University business:

  •  The driver must have a valid driver’s license
  •  The driver must be a University employee
  •  The driver must complete Defensive Driver training every four years
  •  If driving a vehicle is a requirement of an employee’s job then the employee’s license and driving record will be checked - vehicle use will be contingent upon a safe driving  record.
  • No one under 18 years of age may drive on University business
  • Appropriate administrators will minimize driving by non-salaried (volunteer) drivers

University Owned Vehicles
University vehicles shall only be used in the conduct of University business. Transporting any persons other than those directly involved in University business is prohibited unless permission has been obtained in advance for each trip by the employee’s supervisor. The University may not loan a University vehicle to an auxiliary organization.

Rental Vehicles
The State’s vehicle liability program does not cover rental vehicles. The State has contracts in place with rental car companies which provide liability and repair coverage for their rental vehicles. 

Employees renting a vehicle for University business should use only contracted rental companies. 

If an employee rents a vehicle from a rental agency which is not on the state car rental contract, the employee’s personal automobile insurance policy will be the primary coverage for liability and damages in the event of an accident. Claims paid by private insurance for accidents to non-contracted rental vehicles while operated on university or state business are not reimbursable from CSU or state funds. Liability insurance purchased from non-contract rental agencies is not reimbursable from the university

Privately Owned Vehicles
University employees may use privately owned vehicles on University business but must comply with the following rules

  • The use must be within the employees’ scope of employment (University business only).
  • Authorization to use a privately owned vehicle is required. Authorization requires that the employee certify that private automobile liability insurance is in place, that the vehicle is adequate for the work to be performed, is equipped with safety belts and is in safe mechanical condition. The Authorization will be documented using the form STD 261, “Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicle.”
  • The owner’s private automobile insurance will be primary; State insurance provides liability coverage only after the owner’s liability coverage is exhausted, and provides no collision or comprehensive coverage. Claims paid by private insurance for accidents in privately owned vehicles while being operated on University business are not reimbursable from CSU or State funds.

Vehicle Accidents
Vehicle accidents must be reported immediately. Additional specific procedures must be followed immediately following an accident. Drivers involved in a vehicle accident must also complete a written report (STD Form 270) within 24 hours. The appropriate administrator must investigate the accident promptly and submit a written report (STD Form 274) to Risk Management within 48 hours.



Back to Top ↑