Table of Contents
- Policy Number: SA.07.008
- Version: Revision 1
- Drafted By: Toni Rice
- Approved By: Richard R. Rush
- Approval Date: 10/28/08
- Effective Date: 10/28/08
- Supercedes: SA.07.005
To ensure accurate, timely, and effective communication of University business to students either by mail or email.
A need exists to provide effective, consistent and cost efficient communication with applicants and enrolled students.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Vice President for Student Affairs.
All applicants, matriculated students, faculty and staff at CSU Channel Islands.
Mail shall be defined as letters and parcels conveyed by the United States Postal Service.
**Other reputable carriers such as Federal Express and UPS may be utilized if deemed necessary.
Email shall be defined as the system whereby letters, messages and other data are transmitted from one computing or electronic communication device to another through an electronic communication network.
Global student emails shall be defined as communication sent to all students through dolphin email.
- Electronic Communication:
- All applicants are required to include an email address on their CSU online application for admission. The Admissions and Recruitment office shall utilize stated email address to disseminate communication related to enrollment. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that communication is received and read.
- Communication regarding admission status will be sent to applicants through stated email address as well as their respective Dolphin VIP page.
- All students shall receive an email account from the University. Official student email addresses end in @dolphin.csuci.edu.
- Administration shall utilize the "Dolphin Email" system as the official means of communication to CSUCI students. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that communication is received and read.
- Students may redirect their University email address to another account. However, the University will not be responsible for the handling of email by outside vendors or departmental servers. Instructions for redirecting shall be available on the CSUCI Dolphin Email web site.
- Faculty shall determine how electronic forms of communication (e.g. email) will be used in their respective classes and will specify requirements to their students.
- All electronic communication shall meet federal and state accessibility requirements.
- All email sent to students shall include the name, title, email address and telephone number of the person or office sending the email so that the student may verify the integrity of the email.
- It is a violation of University policy to use University mail or a University email address to impersonate a University office, administrator, faculty, staff member, or student.
- Students who are suspended or expelled may have their "Dolphin Email" account closed. The account shall only be re-opened with approval from the Dean of Students or designee.
- Complaints involving harassing email shall be investigated by the Dean of Students or designee.
- Students who voluntarily withdraw from the University and have not completed their program degree or have not enrolled for more than one academic year, will have their email account closed at that time.
- Only designated University offices are eligible to send global student emails.
- Student email addresses shall not be provided for commercial purposes, personal gain or spamming.
- Applicants to the University should inform the Admissions and Recruitment office if there is a change in email address by submitting a letter with their name, date of birth, contact number requesting the University to utilize an alternate email address for communication.
- Students shall provide the University with a current mailing address.
- Students shall maintain their mailing address by updating it in MyCSUCI.